Friday, March 13, 2009

Encourage each other, please

Five times in Paul's letters to the church at Thessalonica we see the word encourage. Here are a few:

1 Thessalonians 3:2
We sent Timothy, who is our brother and God's fellow worker in spreading the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith,

1 Thessalonians 5:11
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

2 Thessalonians 2:1617
May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope,encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

Someone you know needs a to hear a good word from you today. Not just a saccharine greeting, but a specific, "this is what I appreciate about you."

Look out the window and think about a donor or a colleague that would be blessed with your thoughtfulness and care. Then, call or write - don't put it off.

With the work we are called to do, even (especially?) the workers could use some words of encouragement.

While you're at it, drop me a line at hnaylor@tca-pa.org and tell me how the blog is hitting you. I want to be sure these "hits and missives" are hitting the mark.

Be blessed and be a blessing!

Harold

4 comments:

  1. Harold, I enjoyed this reminder. Thanks for being an encourager.
    Steve Wolgemuth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement to encourage :-)! It amazes me how many people that look like they have it all together are really so bruised and beaten up by life. You're correct, that word of specific encouragement that makes someone feel valued is like a healing balm. I agree that we need to develop that habit of not only saying encouraging things, but looking for (and appreciating) those things in our co-laborers in Christ. I find that when I do that I too am encouraged!
    Jaime Hurd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised at how many people are hurting and bruised by life. Encouraging words are like a healing balm.
    I believe that we need to develop the habit of recognizing those valuable traits in our co-laborers and appreciating them. As we identify them we will in turn be encouraged! Thank you for this encouragement to encourage! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The regular blogs keeps me focused. Once again, simple truth -- encourage one another -- with powerful results.

    ReplyDelete