Thursday, June 24, 2010

Donors who Disappoint

Psalm 5:1-4

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell.

I don't like to wait, especially when I and the school need financial gifts to come in to meet a project need.

This is the end of the year. We sent out the year-end appeal and we have received a good response, but not a great response (at least in terms that I measure).

Several people have told me that they are going to contribute, but the gift has not come in. Should I write? Should I call with one of those "gentle reminders"?

And, I am a little frustrated, too. You see, there are people who can give, but don't. There are people who can give more than they do, but won't.

This frustation can create a tension between me and the donors;; one that is not healthy for long-term relationships.

Then, thankfully, the Lord (gently) reminds me of some very important truths:
  1. I am not the fund raiser - He is. I am the "catcher" and "acknowledger" of the good gifts.
  2. I did not always "get it" in terms of giving; this took many years of maturing. And, I still don't get it as I should. Growing in grace is a process.
  3. He has always provided what we needed and when we needed it; why should I presume that we know the Lord's schedule, which is always perfect?
  4. That I need to walk fully in the faith that I proclaim - that is to trust in Him and be gracious with everyone. He has been patient with me for these years; I need to be patient with my brothers and sisters as well.

So, on this steamy day near the end of the fiscal year, be still and know who is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment