Monday, February 23, 2009

What is wrong with "It works"?

1 Cor. 10:31 "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (NKJV)

What if you hear about a fund raising idea that should be used because "it works"?

I believe you need to ask 2 questions

1. What does "it works" constitute? More money than without?

2. Does "it works" - the end - justify the means?

The "what works" argument must be evaluated in light of your goal. As a development officer for a Christian school I am obligated to raise money in a way that honors the name of the One who called me, Jesus.

I believe we are obligated in at least two ways, the WHAT we do and the HOW (or motivation) with which we do our fundraising.

So, as I solicit a donor for a gift I must seek a Kingdom purpose. I think that purpose should be for our school as well as for the donor resulting in a "bi-lateral" blessing. With a business, like a bank, it may be more temporal and financial: they would like to be seen supporting a strong and morals-based college prep school. That is good for their business and banking is a profession that we can be in good company with.

With an individual donor I think I am always to appeal to Christ's work on the cross as the genesis of the orientation to give and God's gracious giving of all gifts as the means by which I/we exercise our faith.

I do not know how to prove that a biblical approach to fund raising gets better (financial) results. I do know that:

- I experience a freedom to minister when I rest in who is really doing the fund raising

- The raising of funds (like evangelism) is not a function of my cleverness or presentation - my presentation should be excellent because of who I represent

- It is better to let donors do business with the Holy Spirit than with me when it comes to responding to the call to give material resources

I do believe that there is much wealth being held by Christians because they have not been challenged (or not responded to the challenge) to give generously to the Lord in proportion to what they have been given.

So, where are we? Christian schools are hurting financially; many are closing because they are not financially viable; they are unwilling or unable to merge. The industry is suffering and I have this strong belief that part of the reason is that we have not gone about our work in the way the Bible prescribes. God may not bless our efforts if we fail to connect the gospel to giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment