Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Donor's Bill of Rights - Part 1

Why is it that donors to Christian charities, such as schools and other ministries, have missed the opportunity to be blessed as they give to the gospel work of their choice?

This observation comes from seeing so many Christian schools and other gospel-based works employ a secular methodology. Here is what I mean.

Take the typical appeal letter that arrives in our mailbox on any given day. It has, in general, several standard components.

1. A greeting
2. The great work
3. The needs of the great work
4. Your opportunity to fund our needs

That is fine as far as it goes, but is "there's nothing really wrong with that" the standard?

This begs the question, "If the Lord has principles by which gospel ministry is done, then does He care about the way resources are raised?"

I believe the answer is a resounding "yes" and I am concerned that donors do not experience ministry when they give. Not only do the scriptures provide much guidance for the accumulation and use of money, they also teach how our hearts should be oriented as we give. If we give "God's way" then we should expect to be blessed in the process. It's a kind of growing in grace if you will.

What kind of ministry should a donor experience? Is that too much to ask of a school or crisis pregnancy center?

But, if the fundraising methods "work", then do we really care whether they are secular or not? A ministry can raise great sums with a secular appeal with a little Bible sprinkled in to sanctify or bless it. But, God will not be mocked. If a ministry pays lip service to God's provisions, why should he throw open the gates of heaven and bless it?

As a donor I want to see my local or national ministries flourish especially in times of economic stress. When they do I can see the Lord defying conventional wisdom and demonstrating that He is, in fact, the owner of everything.

Therefore, I propose the following Donor's "Bill of Rights"

Donor right #1: Communicate to me that your work does not exist (or continue) because of my gifts alone - it is God's pleasure that we exist and serve.

Donor Right #2: Help me see that my giving is a reflection of my relationship with the Lord; it is not a function of my wealth or lack of it.

Donor Right #3: A Christian ministry wants me to be engaged more than just financially; I have time and talent as well - show me how these can be used.

Donor Right #4: Show me the joy and blessing of generosity; not just the ego gratification of a naming opportunity

Donor Right #5: Do not make me feel responsible for fiscal mismanagement; desperate appeals may get a small donation, but I will not pour money into a lost cause.

This is the first half of the list. The next set will come out soon.

If you connect with these ideas and you think it would be helpful to explore them more, please see Advance Christian Schools or contact me directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment